Tuesday 19 November 2013

Virtual Homes from Hell

I’d previously mentioned that 3D studio was being fairly reasonable with me behaviour wise, well for the architectural project it came back with a burning desire to set that straight.

Having circled Birmingham at least twice looking for an interesting subject I discovered one I thought would be perfect out on a green in Bourneville. Fairly small, looked nice and I thought I could work with it, which I could…for a while.

This project basically turned into an n-gon nightmare. Mostly from poor modelling choices on my part but even working through floating polys and shape faces that look like they would be at home in a game of Tetris, 3Ds Max was there to play it’s part too. From crashes that somehow corrupted the file and the backups (twice) to UVs vanishing from the editor completely on hand-in day it really just didn't want to play ball. So not a lot went great with this and with those missing UVs there are parts that aren't textured that needed completely rebuilding which wasn't in the time frame.
But there is good amongst what at the time felt like an endless stream of just plain terrible, I managed to set up a multi-sub object with no trouble and while the n-gons and UVs were an endless toil for this I have gained an improved ability to spot and fix errors but even better, with pointers from the third years and simply not wanting this much trouble again I have a much better grasp on going about the modelling to begin with.


I plan to return to the architectural model at some point to fix it, if anything for my own peace of mind. Though knocking it down and starting from scratch would probably be more productive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment