Thursday 14 May 2015

Alice of the Map: Project Post-Mortem

Project brief:

In teams of six create a level to celebrate the 150 year anniversary of ‘Alice’s adventures underground’ by Lewis Carroll, choosing from three categories of either Underground, Oxford or Gardens. 
Anchor your work in the British Libraries collections.  

Project Duration:

11 Weeks

Brief overview of the project:

Starting the project in our allocated teams when began with basic research and inspiration before going onto level planning. Everyone came up with some ideas and we took parts of things we liked and mixed them together to produce our basic layout.

The environment modelling was divided up between myself, Mark, Anya and Becky while Dom worked on the engine and Denise worked on the characters. We created an asset list and divided the work up amoungst us and updated it was we went on and completed work so everyone could keep track.
We also all had access to the Max file full of assets used in the whitebox and a block to represent player height so we could all work independently but quickly where the scale of our assets were concerned meaning we didn't lose time later on returning to rescale our assets since they were fairly close to the correct size already. 
Meanwhile Denise dealt with the character side and Dom with the game play and scripting.

Our teamwork was pretty good and consistent. We tried to keep up with team meetings and give regular feedback. The project was fairly well managed having a set timetable and naming convention and I think an even distribution of work was the only thing that could have used improvement.

What went well:

Overall the 'Fable-esk' style guide we planned from the start was fairly consistent, none of the assets seems too stick out as too cartoony or too realistic and no colours used were particularly garish. The level felt cohesive in regards to our art.

There was a lot of variety in terms of game play. There were six different playable puzzles as well as an optional collectible system and all these features didn't feel forced in or out of place since they were either referenced in the actual book such as the White Rabbits gloves, painting the roses red or the Hatter and his riddles or there was just enough logic behind them that they seemed to fit, like the guard losing his key.

Overall organisation was good. People were almost never sat around with nothing to do, we had the objects from the whitebox to keep us in scale which was efficient and we had a set naming convention for the files so everything was easy to navigate.
  
What didn't work:

In my own opinion while I do like the 'Dark World' tea party level it received less attention than the rest of the game. In terms of atmosphere we got what we wanted but I felt we were very liberal with the glowing plants. They seem a bit everywhere.


This was one of the problems people who played through the game for us told me about, there doesn't seem to be much direction in this area and people automatically want to follow the glowing objects as a type of path. Naturally the flowers are scattered like plants in a forest would be so they wouldn't exactly get led anywhere. I think we could have been a bit more strategic with the emissives, such as using them as a 'hot and cold' system to help people locate the riddle items, the further from a item the flower is the dimmer it will glow. This would be very beneficial to a player who is unaware of where the items were placed and help prevent the puzzle becoming tedious as people search for things.

The miniature maze puzzle could also have benefited from some tweaking. The original plan was for the maze to be a rabbit warden under the flower bed but we encountered problems making the walls stand out from the floor. In the end the quickest solution was to leave the textured as a miniature hedge maze though people still had some problem keeping track of where Alice was once she was in the maze.  

Problems encounted:

I had a lot of problems regarding the hedges and getting a balance between ascetics and engine efficiency. Having tried various solutions including tessellation, adding geometry, normal maps, it was decided that leaving the hedges as simply textured meshes with a material to add colour variation was the best solution for us to take.

A large and recurring problem we also faced was with frame rate. Aiming for a minimum FPS of 30 at times we were hitting as low as 9 as we started putting in foliage. A massive about of time and energy went into fixing this, such as reducing the dynamic lighting to the bare minimum, cutting down the number of plants in the forests, revisiting assets such as the trees to thin out the alphas and make changes to reduce overdraw, lowering the quality of the shadow and many other things. This was one of the biggest challenges we faced throughout this project. 

At the end of the project our lighting build was plagued with problems and crashes. After four days of trying we could only get the build to work on preview lighting. Meanwhile in Dark world level kept giving up a 'Insertion failed' error and nobody has any idea what this is so currently we have no way to building the lighting in that area of the level.

What I would do next time:

Work faster. The distribution of work got every uneven towards the end and a lot of this was from people finishing work and taking on more. My work speed is something I have been trying to improve since first year and I need to continue to do so.

Be a better judge of tri-count. I have a somewhat different problem with tri-count than most in that quite a lot of the time I never use enough. While optimising our assets is always important as the game engines get more powerful there are a lot of instances of me sacrificing form for no reason, especially with round objects.

Conclusion:

I did like the level, it was a fairly lengthy gameplay experience for people who hadn't worked on it or previously seen us play it. It relates well to the story of Alice in Wonderland and altogether I think it looks good.

The team worked well, there were no major disagreements or in-fighting, everyone showed up usually everyday anyway but if not would come in when needed and while I wish I'd done more there were no cases of nobody not really contributing. Overall the level is a good example of what a good team dynamic can produce in comparison to the last group project I was part of where it was rather dysfunctional.
 
Action Plan:
I have a lot of areas I want to improve on over the summer. I want to get much more proficient with all the programs that I've used over the course of this project.  

Zbrush and Polypainting. Zbrush is a unbelievably useful tool and I want to keep getting better with it so I can produce better quality hi-poly bakes. I've used it throughout the Off the Map project and intend to improve with it further. Zbrush is also a program used widely through the industry so I consider it a necessary skill set.

Blueprints: In the projects leading up to Alice project I'd been working a lot with Unreal and Blueprints but the Alice project had me having next to no contact with them. I plan to allocate time to learning more about them.

Practicing 2D skills: Naturally I should always be allocating time to improving my 2D work but I have neglected them somewhat this year. Most of my time I will be working to get back to the level I was then continue to improve. After that I must make a conscious effort for the skills to not slip again.
During the early stages on this project I felt fairly useless because of the speed and quality of my concepting. I want to be much more prepared and capable ready for FMP.

Portfolio Pieces: Utilising any improvements I make from my other points I hope to produce a fair selection of portfolio ready pieces. As I said in my extended writing piece environment art is one of my areas of interest so I intend to create work demonstrating skills in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment